The is giving residents a call to action to clean out the clutter in their homes and bring their unwanted appliances, electronics and other recyclable items to the community's annual "Recycle Day" at St. Louis Mills. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Sponsored by the City of Hazelwood in partnership with its Green Committee, this ecological event is aimed at saving our planet by helping to reduce the need for more landfills.
Many items being dumped in our landfills today can be recycled, reused for educational purposes, or re-conditioned to be sold back to consumers.
There will be no charge for items dropped off in the parking lot of , near .
It's a free event giving everyone an opportunity to get rid of recyclable items they don't need any more.
Recyclable items collected by the event vendors will include the following:
- computers; monitors; printers; cables; TVs; VCR/DVD players;
- CD players; cellular phones; kitchenware like toasters, blenders, and food processors;
- washers; dryers; dishwashers; furnaces; lawn equipment; air conditioners; refrigerators;
- humidifiers; vacuum cleaners; car batteries; documents to be shredded; fluorescent & CFL light bulbs;
- used clothing, shoes, purses & accessories; and single-stream recycling items.
No tires or hazardous materials such as paints, solvents, and chemicals will be accepted.
Hazelwood police volunteers and explorers will be on hand to direct traffic. Drivers will be able to pull in, unload quickly, and follow the exit lanes out of the event collection area.
Funding for this project is being provided by the St. Louis-Jefferson Solid Waste Management District and the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.
Participating vendors include Allied Waste Services, Web Innovations & Technology Services (WITS), St. Louis Mills, The Home Depot, Remains, and Valley Industries' Thrift Store.