Standoff Near Hazelwood Ends Peacefully

A man who barricaded himself inside a home in Berkeley after shots were fired there surrendered to police about 5:15 p.m.

A 51-year-old man who barricaded himself inside a home near Hazelwood after shots were fired there, surrendered to police about 5:15 p.m.

The incident prevented officials at a nearby Berkeley Middle School from allowing children to leave for the day. After it ended, the students were released to parents, according to stltoday.com.

Berkeley Police Chief Frank McCall Jr. said a weapon was recovered from inside the house in the 6700 block of Carol Lee Drive.

The man is in police custody and is expected to face several charges.

From the Beginning

The incident began around noon.

SWAT officers with the Berkeley Police Department surrounded the home near after the man barricaded himself inside, according to police.

Police say the suspect fired shots at police before barricading himself inside the home, according to KTVI.

The residence is located near the intersection of Frost and Carol Lee just a couple blocks from where the begins.

At that time, the middle school went into "shelter in school" alert, meaning it was on lock down and no one was allowed in or out of the buildings, according to KSDK.

The school day should have ended at 1:50 pm. Students were kept on campus until police deemed it safe to leave, which was after the man surrendered well after 4 p.m.

What Started the Standoff?

McCall said the man who locked himself inside his house in the 6700 block of Carol Lee Drive was armed but believed to be alone around 3:50 p.m.

Police said the suspect's father was initially inside but got out safely. KTVI is also reporting a child was in the home and also made it out safely.

According to stltoday.com, the man's lawyer, James Robinson, came to the scene of the standoff and said it began because the man was upset relatives called state authorities to report problems with the man's elderly father.

Apparently a case worker stopped by the home with a police officer Thursday to check on them and according to KTVI, that's when things went sour. The state representatives wanted to remove his 80-year-old wheelchair bound father from the home and the man and the accompanying officer exchanged fire but neither were injured, according to stltoday.com. That's when the man barricaded himself inside.

His attorney was able to convince him to come out of the home and surrender.

Do you live near the scene? Did you see the incident?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »