Save Money with the Child Tax Credit

Important Information for Claiming the Child Tax Credit. You may get a refund even if you have no tax liability by claiming this credit.

If you have a child under age 17, the Child Tax Credit may save you money at tax-time. Here are some facts the IRS wants you to know about the credit. Amount.  The non-refundable Child Tax Credit may help reduce your federal income tax by up to $1,000 for each qualifying child you claim on your return.  Qualifications.  For this credit, a qualifying child must pass seven tests: 1. Age test. The child must have been under age 17 at the end of 2012. 2. Relationship Test. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, or stepsister. A child may also be a descendant of any of these individuals, including your grandchild, niece or nephew. You would always treat an adopted child as your own child. An adopted child includes a child lawfully placed with you for legal adoption. 3. Support Test. The child must not have provided more than half of their own support for the year. 4. Dependent Test. You must claim the child as a dependent on your federal tax return. 5. Joint return test. The child cannot file a joint return for the year, unless the only reason they are filing is to claim a refund.  6. Citizenship test. The child must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or U.S. resident alien. 7. Residence test. In most cases, the child must have lived with you for more than half of 2012. Limitations. The Child Tax Credit is subject to income limitations, and may be reduced or eliminated depending on your filing status and income.  Additional Child Tax Credit If you qualify and get less than the full Child Tax Credit, you could receive a refund even if you owe no tax with the refundable Additional Child Tax Credit. Schedule 8812 If you qualify to claim the Child Tax Credit make sure to check whether you must complete and attach the new Schedule 8812, Child Tax Credit, with your return. If you qualify to claim the Additional Child Tax Credit, you must complete and attach Schedule 8812.  IRS Publication 972, Child Tax Credit, can provide youwith more details. View it online at IRS.gov or request it by calling800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). You can also use the Interactive Tax Assistanttool on the IRS website to check if you can claim the credit. The ITA is aresource that can help answer tax law questions.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »