Veterans Day 2012 Events in St. Louis
Looking for a way to pay your respects to a vet? Here are a few events taking place in and around the Greater St. Louis Area.
Celebrate Veterans Day Colonial Style:
•Listen to the sounds of the Lewis and Clark Fife and Drum Corps, 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m., and watch the stirring theater performance Joseph Plumb Martin: Soldier of the American Revolution, 1:45 p.m.
• When: Sunday, November 11 2012 at 1:00 pm
• Where: Missouri History Museum, AT&T Foundation Multipurpose Room
• Cost: Free
Saint Louis Chamber Chorus: What Do You Think I Fought For?
• When: All Day Sunday
• Where: Christ Church Cathedral, Thirteenth & Locust Street, St. Louis, MO 63103
• Cost: $10-$28
Veterans Day Concert:
• The Ellisville Police Department in conjunction with St. John Church and the Parkway Chamber Music String Ensemble is honoring veterans with a Veteran's Day Concert.
• When: Sunday at 2:00pm
•Where: St. John Church in Ellisville
O'Fallon Veterans Day:
• O'Fallon will honor U.S. veterans at a Veterans Day ceremony at 11 a.m.
•Where: O'Fallon Veterans Memorial Walk, 800 Belleau Creek Road.
• The ceremony will include welcoming remarks by Mayor Bill Hennessy and remarks by keynote speaker Brig. Gen. Edmund T. Beckette. Two local students will read their winning essays submitted to the VFW's "The Voice of Democracy" contest and "The Patriot's Pen." Hennessy and Vietnam veteran Sheldon Hartsfield will dedicate two benches built for the Veterans Memorial Walk by Eagle Scouts Logan Funderburk and Joshua Anderson of Troop 858.
• Free parking is available. For more information, contact Conan Stott at 636-379-5550.
St. Charles Veterans Day:
• Ceremony at 11 a.m. Sunday
• Bishop's Landing on the St. Charles riverfront.
• Tom Kuypers, chairman of the St. Charles Veterans Commission, is the master of ceremonies.
• The St. Charles Municipal Band will perform, and Ruth Scheidegger will sing the national anthem. Tom Bieser, chaplain for VFW Post 2866 in St. Charles, will give the invocation. Clara Scott, of American Legion Post 312, will lead the Pledge of Allegiance. St. Charles Mayor Sally Faith and Chuck Gross, county director of administration, will speak.
St. Charles Community College Veterans Celebration:
• When: 11 a.m. Monday
• Where: St. Charles Community College, College Center, 4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive, Cottleville, Mo.
• Keynote address by Lt. Gen. Kathleen M. Gainey, deputy commander of U.S. Transportation Command, words from SCC's president, Ron Chesbrough, a color guard presentation by local veterans organizations and performances from the SCC concert band, singers and a bagpiper. The ceremony will close with the playing of "Taps."
Lake St. Louis Veterans Day Celebration:
• 11 a.m. Monday in Veterans Memorial Park, adjacent to the Lake Saint Louis Civic Center at 101 Civic Center Drive.
• Retired Army Maj. Gen. Robert M. Carrothers of Lake Saint Louis is the featured speaker. Don Smedshammer, a former newscaster for KMOX radio, will serve as master of ceremonies. The men's choir of First Baptist Church in Lake Saint Louis will provide music.
Parkway Veterans Breakfast:
• Where: Oak Brook Elementary (510 Big Bend Ballwin, MO 63021)
• When: Monday at 7:45 a.m. There will be an 8:30 a.m. parade of honor
Freebies: Free Food and Discounts Galore
History of the Day