Mallinckrodt Partners to Relieve Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
The Hazelwood-based company has entered into a co-promotion agreement with Horizon Pharma, Inc. to produce an anti-inflammatory drug to help with the disease.
Mallinckrodt, the pharmaceuticals business of Covidien is entering into a co-promotion agreement with Horizon Pharma, Inc. on a drug designed to help those living with the pain of rheumatoid arthritis.
The Hazelwood-based sector of the company will promote the new drug, DUEXIS, which is a combination of ibuprofen and famotidine. According to Mallinckrodt, it is a proprietary single-tablet combination of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug ibuprofen and the histamine H2-receptor antagonist famotidine. It is indicated for the relief of signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, as well as to decrease the risk of developing upper gastrointestinal ulcers.
Mallinckrodt will sell DUEXIS through December 31, 2014. Horizon will continue to record all revenues and remain responsible for DUEXIS manufacturing, supply and regulatory activities.
"This agreement represents a key component of our growing pharmaceuticals business as Mallinckrodt prepares to spin off from Covidien next year,” said Mark Trudeau, President, Pharmaceuticals. “We are leaders in pain management, and adding DUEXIS to our portfolio will further advance our efforts to help patients manage the often-debilitating impact of pain.
"We look forward to working with Horizon and providing DUEXIS to our customers.”
Mallinckrodt is the largest U.S. supplier of opioid pain medications and among the top 10 generic pharmaceuticals manufacturers in the U.S., based on prescriptions. Mallinckrodt is also one of the world’s leading producers of bulk acetaminophen.
Covidien announced spin off plans last December for Mallinckrodt. The process that is expected to be completed in mid-2013.
For more on Covidien and Mallinckrodt see:
- Hazelwood Based Businesses Give $78,000 to Stem Sewer Rates; Election Day is June 5
- Covidien and GE Healthcare Form Five-Year Collaboration
- Covidien Purchases Israeli Medical Device Maker
- Second Coldwater Creek Lawsuit Filed Against Hazelwood-Based Covidien and Its Mallinckrodt Division
- Covidien Receives Award for Green Business Practices at Hazelwood Mallinckrodt Campus
- First Day on the Job for New President at Covidien's Pharmaceuticals Business
- Covidien Plans Spin-Off of Pharmaceuticals Business