Family Settles in Civil Suit Against the Hazelwood School District
Suit stems from '09 bus attack on a Hazelwood West High School female student.
A lawsuit stemming from the attack on a girl on a Hazelwood West High School bus in November of 2009, was settled March 2 to prevent the victim from having to endure a trial.
Crystal Gwaltney's daughter was a 15-year-old sophomore at the time of the incident. Another West High student, a freshman boy, was allegedly caught on bus surveillance video attacking the victim on the bus ride home, after school was dismissed.
The victim’s mother says the family agreed to an undisclosed, financial settlement with the Hazelwood School District (HSD), for the good of her daughter.
Gwaltney told KMOX, her daughter “has been through enough,” and said “we were afraid a jury trial would be too much for her.”
The suit had been seeking $25,000 and changes in the district’s busing policies. Court records show Judge Joseph Walsh, III ordered a structured settlement.
The suspect, who was 14 at the time was charged with assault as a juvenile. Diana Gulotta, assistant superintedent for communications, said HSD will not be issuing a statement on the matter.