Elderly Hazelwood Man Survives House Fire
The man used his instincts and stuck his head out of a bathroom window until help could arrive, preventing serious smoke inhalation.
An elderly man is doing fine after a Sunday morning housefire in Hazelwood.
Hazelwood Police Department officers responded to a call about a house that was on fire in the 2100 block of Lundy Drive just off Howdershell Road.
Officers arrived and found the homeowner, an elderly man, in a bathroom located on the west side of the residence.
The officers pulled the man through the bathroom window to safety.
The man's neighbor, who chose not to reveal his name, was outside surveying the home when Hazelwood Patch stopped by to take photos and said a woman walking past the home saw the man with his head sticking out of a bathroom window and advised him to continue breathing in the outside air.
"The fire is unfortunate but all of this can be replaced," he said. "He can't and it is good that she saw him and called the police."
The man, whose name was not released, was transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation and dizziness.
The flames began in the ceiling, according to the Hazelwood Fire Department, whose initial fire investigation reveals this fire could possibly be related to electrical issues.
The fire is not believed to be suspicious.