What Coletta Lloyd didn't expect to find on November 2 upon returning home was a car parked in her living room, but it's surely what happened.
"My daughter gets off from work at 11 p.m., so I'd just left to pick her up," Lloyd said. "It happened 10 minutes after I left the house.
"Thank God we were not at home at the time."
Lloyd said a neighbor called and told her what happened just as she was on the way home.
A vehicle plowed its way into her condominium in the 7600 block of Hazelcrest Drive in Hazelwood and was resting in her living room.
"We were only able to grab a small amount of clothes at the time of the incident," Lloyd said. "Two weeks later I was allowed in to get us some winter clothes."
In the meantime, Lloyd, her daughter and two infant grandchildren are living out of a hotel.
"I was able to call my insurance to get a claim," she said. "They are saying it will be three months until they even get to a point of processing the house."
Hazelwood Police Investigating
Hazelwood Police Department Sgt. Andy Eagan told Hazelwood Patch the accident is under investigation.
"It was reported that the vehicle had mechanical failure," Eagan said. "The driver is also under investigation for driving while under the influence.
"Charges have not yet been filed with the St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, so a suspect cannot be identified."
Home for Christmas, In A Way
In the meantime, Lloyd said her family is scheduled to leave the hotel on December 18 and head into temporary housing.
More than anything, Lloyd said not being at home at the time of the accident is a Godsend for her family.
"It's an attached condo and the car took out my whole front and went into the wall of an adjoining condo," Lloyd said. "We are blessed to not have been at home.
"It wasn't until I was let back into the home during the daytime that I saw the extent of the damage."
See More on Patch
- Watch: Aubuchon, Teson Roads Flood in Hazelwood with Heavy Rain
- Car Crashes Into Hazelwood Church
- 116 Tickets Issued During Hazelwood Police's Click It or Ticket Blitz
- Hazelwood Elementary Student Disciplined After Bringing BB Gun to School
- A 190-Foot Emergency Communications Tower Is Coming to Hazelwood
Most Popular articles
- Mother Stomped On 14-Year-Old Daughter; Blood Found In Girl's Urine
- Man Charged with Child Abuse After 4-Year-Old Girl Becomes Unresponsive
- Woman Hurls Beer Bottles at Bartender Who Had Declined Her Service
- Coldwater Creek, West Lake Landfill Activists Meet with Sen. Claire McCaskill's Office
- Drive Intoxicated, Risk Jail Time This Weekend